Massage treatment refers to the manual manipulation of muscles, soft tissues, using soft light-handed movements of varying length and strength. Massage therapy has been in use since time immemorial and has proven health benefits. Research studies have pointed to the holistic healing of the body during the session which continues to have a beneficial effect after the therapy is over. Massage therapy is done using a lot of techniques using movements like pressurizing the muscles using hands, soft strokes, longer deeper strokes, rolling and twisting of muscles and kneading the muscles removing knots and relieving tightness. In state-of-the-art facilities like Primary Medical Care Center in Fort Lauderdale, several kinds of massage therapies are available for seniors.\
What is Massage Therapy especially beneficial for?
In seniors as we already know, there are a lot of physical problems due to the physical decline during aging. Massage therapy has documented benefits in several of the following conditions.
- Headaches and migraine
- Increased muscle soreness and tightness
- Mental Health Issues
- Digestive problems and issues with the gastrointestinal tract
- High blood pressure
- Joint pain/ arthritis
- Diabetes and other lifestyle diseases
What is the mechanism through which massage therapy helps the seniors?
As the muscle manipulation begins, mechanical pressure is produced in the areas being manipulated. This pressure aids in muscle compliance that further increases the range of muscle and joint movement, decreases active and passive stiffness of the muscles thereby relieving any pain buildup in the area.
Are different kinds of massage therapies the same when it comes to their benefits?
Different massage therapies offer different benefits depending on their style and target muscles. Not all massage therapies will be beneficial for you. You have to pick and choose depending on your ailment and other physical limitations.
What are the real benefits of Massage Therapy?
Here are some of the documented benefits of massage therapy:
- Increased blood flow to the target muscles: As seniors age, blood circulation does not remain as efficient as it used to be. Massage therapy prompts the circulation of blood in the target muscles.
- Improve agility and strength of the muscle: Falling is a serious issue for seniors. Although sometimes the circumstances are unavoidable, it is important to have increased balance for support in times of need. Massage therapy helps immensely with improving spot muscle strength and due to improved blood flow, the balance and agility of the body is restored, decreasing our chances of falling.
- Eliminates muscle soreness and tightness: Muscles when not used regularly, hardening up at spots and relieves of any swelling in the area. Soft muscles have improved blood circulation and have lesser tension
- Beneficial for the nervous system- Touch is one of the most sensory perceptions of being a human being. Since a lot of possibilities of touching are removed during old age such as involvement in team sports etc. the perception of touch becomes rare. Massage therapy through its manual manipulation stimulates the release of endorphins, and other chemicals that are necessary for the proper functioning of the central nervous system.
- Enhances the process of recovery from critical illnesses like stroke: Manipulating areas that might have been paralyzed has been found to be good for stroke patients who have a faster recovery with massage therapy.
- Improves sleep quality- The quality of sleep is tied to several health benefits including reduced stress and better life. Massage induces a relaxation response that enables you to sleep better.
- Relieves joint pain- Muscle wellbeing is related to the wellbeing of bones as well as the body lays down bone when the muscle strength is increased. In the same context, movement of the bones is also positively affected because of the benefits that muscles experience due to massage.
There are about two hundred and fifty massage variations that you choose from for your purposes. Most Fort Lauderdale massage therapists offer several kinds and it is best to discuss with your practitioner which kind will suit you best. This is perhaps the only therapy that you will have tons of fun working with and which will provide much more relaxation than any other therapy.