The HoMedics Massage Chair Cushion was first introduced to the consumer market during the late 1980s. Intended to simulate the hand motions and techniques of an actual professional masseuse, the goal of the massage chair was to relieve stress and tension, as well as alleviate back pain.
At first, massage chairs and cushions were slow to catch on and attract customers. But after a decade or so that passed, the public’s interest in the technology began to grow exponentially. This incited competitors to manufacture and promote their own as the best and most effective on the market.
HoMedics Massage Chair Cushion: therapy techniques
At present, the most effective massage techniques that massage chair cushions are developed are designed to be, are the techniques of shiatsu and Swedish massage.
- Shiatsu tends to use a pressing, sweeping, patting, rolling, and rotating movements. The defining characteristic of Shiatsu is its focus on releasing tension in specific locations of the body.
- Swedish massage is characteristic of long gliding strokes and kneading motions. This type of massage aims at fostering proper and strong circulation.
While these massaging machines can never reproduce the exact motions and feelings of the human touch, at least designers have striven to make these mechanical substitutes to provide massages as close to those of a human masseuse as possible. Just like a human masseuse or a therapist, massage chairs and cushions aim to provide its users with some measure of relief from back and shoulder pain.
Price vs. quality.
So far, there are no definitive data stating which massage chair cushion is necessarily better than the next at reducing back pain.
In addition, there is no standard price level for massage chairs. The pricing depends on the manufacturer, sellers or dealers. Prices of a full massage chair can range from $800 to $4000.
Although a higher price usually means better quality and features, with massage chairs that is not always the case. Newer lines of similar (if not better) models have come out at remarkably lower prices compared to older models.
Fortunately, the HoMedics Massaging Cushion range is nowhere near that price mentioned above. Models can range only from $50 to $2oo, but that depends on features, options, style, and quality.
Guidelines for Choosing a Massage Chair Cushion.
Below are some general guidelines to follow when searching for a massage chair cushion:
- Basic comfort of massage chair – Sit down in the HoMedics Massage Recliner with Heat and get a feel for it. Some chairs may have a shape or contour that better fits a particular person’s shape or need.
- The strength of the massage – Make sure that the intensity of the massage is appropriate. For a more vigorous massage, look for a chair that offers highly protruded components and strong movements. Those who desire a less intense, more point-specific massage may prefer a massage chair with small rollers and nodes and softer movements could try a HoMedics Back Massager with Heat
- Presets and adjustability of massage chair – Take time to experiment with the preset programs. Some massage chairs may have a preset that is specific to a problem area on the back. Other chairs may offer greater variability. A massage chair with a large range of adjustability may prove beneficial when purchasing a single chair for multiple users.
- Accessories – There are some certain massage chairs that come with a separate ottoman or a leg rest that extends in and out of the chair. Some positions may be more comfortable for certain back conditions. For instance, sitting in a reclining position with the legs elevated may be more comfortable for some people with spinal stenosis. Several chairs even have a leg-rest that has its own massage or vibration capabilities.
- The appearance of the chair – Massage chair and massage chair cushions are available in many various sizes and shapes. Some are made with real leather and polished wood. While some are made with synthetic leather and plastic, or other combinations of fabrics and materials. Although the decision should not rely only on appearance, this may be a factor when purchasing.
- The price range of HoMedics massage chairs – As implied before, some massage chairs are quite expensive. Price should always be one of the deciding factors when purchasing massage chairs and massage cushions.
Check out Amazon for product details, pricing and customer reviews of the popular HoMedics massage chair cushions.