Dry skin is usually one of the common foot problems. This is also known as xeroderma, xerosis or xerosis cutis. While dry skin is harmless, it can be unsightly and uncomfortable. But when you do not promptly address dry skin on your feet, it can result to itching, scaling, cracking, and even pain. It can become vulnerable to many sorts of infections.
What causes dry skin on the feet?
There are a lot of factors that can lead to dry skin on your feet:
- Lack of moisture – Since the skin on your feet (especially around the heels) possesses only a few number of sweat glands, it tends to go dry too often. That’s why your feet become dry, chapped and cracked.
- Season – Dry skin is often more common during the sharp, cold months as there is little humidity. The cold temperature strips away the moisture from your skin, leading to dryness, flakiness and cracking.
- Age – As people age, their skin loses its elasticity, which leads to dry, thick and scaly skin.
- Prolonged standing – Prolonged standing can lead to pressure to the feet and possibly damage to the sweat glands which can cause dryness and cracking, especially on the heels.
- Underlying medical condition – They can include diabetes and various skin disorders such as contact dermatitis, atopic dermatitis, psoriasis, calluses, etc.
- Obesity – Being overweight can put unnecessary pressure on the feet, causing the feet to become dry, particularly heels to become cracked.
- Lack of hygiene – Failing to keep up with their hygienic practices can be a further cause of dryness of the feet, especially.
- Bathing habits – Too much hot baths, hot showers or foot baths may lead to the breakdown of the skin’s natural barriers. This results to the loss of moisture and eventually, dryness of the feet.
- Wearing ill-fitting footwear – Shoes that do not exactly fit to your feet or other footwear that offer little protection to your feet can also cause dryness of the skin and cracks on the heels.
- Genes – Some people are prone to having dry skin because of heredity.
How to get rid of dryness of the skin and cracked feet?
The treatment and prevention of dry and cracked feet are actually quite simple. Only you have to be consistent in your treatments to ensure the reduction of dryness and cracks on your feet and the restoration of your feet’s natural moisture.
- Moisturize your feet and heels regularly.
- Do not wear inappropriate or ill-fitting shoes or any other kinds of footwear.
- Clean your feet regularly.
- Try to check your feet regularly for signs of dryness and cracked heels, especially if you’re having a condition (like diabetes) or you are aware that your family members or relatives have dry skin and cracked feet.
- Avoid standing for prolonged periods.
- Drink plenty of water and fluids regularly to stay hydrated.
- Eat a balanced diet and take supplements.
- Exercise regularly.
- Use a pumice stone to gently scrub off the cracks on your heels. But do not do it when you’re diabetic, as scrubbing can lead to open wounds which may put your feet at high risk of infection.
- Apply foot creams regularly.
- Wear socks, ideally before going to bed. There are actually moisturizing socks that you can wear to prevent your feet from going dry and keep them soft and supple.
Foot creams for dry skin
One of the go-to solutions for dry skin on the feet is the application of foot creams, which can help in restoring and maintaining the skin’s natural moisture, repairing the skin and smoothening it. If you are on the trail to foot care regimen, you would like to try our picks for the best foot creams for dry skin. Apart from restoring your skin’s moisture, foot creams offer a lot of more good stuff that your feet will definitely benefit from.
Pamper your tired, overworked and dry feet with O’Keeffe’s for Healthy Feet foot cream. It does not only hydrate your feet, but it also creates a protective layer that prevents the skin’s natural moisture from escaping, further boosting its moisture levels. You will feel a big difference from regularly applying this wonderful foot cream. And oh, you can use it on your dry and parched hands, as well If you want to know more about this product Check out a feature review here:
This is dubbed as “America’s Favorite Foot Cream” and there’s a good reason behind it. It is made from a selection of fine ingredients which include glycerine and chamomile flower extract. This amazing foot cream prevents the dryness and cracks on your feet and heels, exfoliates the skin and restores their natural silky softness and smoothness.
Dried feet and cracked heels may eventually lead to skin roughness, soreness and open wounds, and these things can invite many types of infections. You don’t want that to happen, do you? The Gold Bond Ultimate Softening Foot Cream is especially formulated to get rid of dryness on your feet and restore their natural smoothness and softness. Gloriously incorporated with shea butter plus vitamins A, C and E, it feels like you’re “feeding” your feet with all the good stuff as you apply this cream on them. Not only Gold Bond Ultimate Softening Foot Cream softens and smoothens your feet and heels; it also prevents them from contacting possible skin infections.
One of the nice things about this foot cream is that it is inexpensive compared to other brands. But its cheap price tag doesn’t compromise its effectiveness. Its main ingredient is shea butter, which is known to have fatty acids that help in preventing dry, sore skin and in restoring its natural moisture. Plus, it has lactic acid which acts as an excellent exfoliant. Slather this cream all over your dried, parched and cracked feet regularly and you will see the big difference! It comes in a tube, so you can easily carry it wherever you go.
The Profoot Care Heel Rescue Moisturizing Cream will come to save your feet and heels from dryness, flakiness and cracks. Enriched with natural ingredients such as Moroccan argan oil, this cream penetrates into your skin easily. It works deep into your skin to repair it from dryness and it brings its natural moisture back. It doesn’t make a greasy and oily feel to your skin, and it is fragrance-free.