How Long Does Fungus Live in Shoes?
If you ever had a toenail fungus infection, you are well aware of the stigma, embarrassment and unsightly toenails that accompany it. Luckily toenail fungus infections are easily treatable and you’ll be able to wear your favorite flip-flops again in no time. However, if you’re treating the whole problem instead of just your feet, you could develop another infection.
Having toenail fungus isn’t very pretty, since it can make your nails look yellow, thick and cracked and might hurt when you try to wear shoes. Additionally, this can be hard to treat, and if you don’t take care of it, there’s a chance it can lead to a more serious infection.
How Toenail Fungal Infections Develop
Toenail fungus is most often caused by microscopic organisms called dermatophytes. These organisms feed on keratin, the protein found in nails and hair.
There are several factors that increase your risk of developing a toenail fungal infection. Most people contract toenail fungus from a fungal skin infection such as athlete’s foot which transfers to the nail.
Toenail fungus can cause the nails to become thick, discolored, and brittle. If the nail becomes thickened, it can be painful and cause pressure on the underlying nail bed.
Healthy Habits to Prevent Toenail Fungus
Healthy feet depend on good hygiene, so it is important to keep your toes clean and dry. These tips can help you avoid a toenail fungal infection:
- Clip your toenails correctly – Cut your toenails with properly sanitized nail scissors or clippers and make sure to cut them straight across.
- Wear properly fitted shoes – Avoid sliding shoes that are too big and jamming your toenails into the end of the shoe. Physicians recommend buying shoes with a wide toe box that won’t cramp your toes.
- Choose breathable footwear – The more air that’s able to circulate around your feet, the drier and less susceptible to toenail fungus they’ll be. Choose shoes which are made of breathable material like leather or canvas.
- Alternate your shoes – Putting on shoes that are still damp from yesterday’s sweaty workout will only increase your risk of a toenail fungal infection, so invest in a few good pairs and rotate them.
- Avoid going barefoot in public areas – Locker rooms, public pools, showers, and similar areas are loaded with fungi just waiting to get to your toes. Always wear footwear in a moist environment.
- Disinfect regularly – Scrub your shower and disinfect it with a bleach-based cleanser. Spray your shoes with an antibacterial spray, especially if you’ve worn them without socks, and wash all socks in hot water with bleach to kill any fungi.
- Sprinkle your shoes – Use an antifungal powder to keep fungi at bay. Sprinkle the powder inside your socks and shoes before each wearing to prevent the growth of fungi spores. This is especially important in hot weather when your feet tend to sweat more.
Tips for killing fungus in shoes
Fungi reproduce in environments that are covered in sweat and dirt. They thrive on your dirty socks and shoes! For those that have their shoes on for most hours of the day or for athletes whose rigorous activities tend to moisten underneath their feet, their shoes are a breeding zone for these fungi. If you have toenail fungus, here are some tips for killing fungus in shoes.
Invest in multiple shoes
This option is advisable to those that work on his/her feet all day. This is due to the vigorous activities that they do that make their feet to perspire more. If you are already a victim of these shoe fungi, switching of shoes while going for treatment can help you get rid of the fungi.
Wash your socks
You can also kill these shoe fungus by washing your socks often. Black or other dark colored socks can help shoe fungus to breed fast, and the dark colors make it impossible to spot dirt or the presence of the fungi. When you start having a black coloration, it is mostly mistaken for the fiber of the material the socks are made of.
Spray your infected shoes with disinfectants
Several disinfectant kills shoe fungus instantly. Bacteria are causing these fungi, and disinfectants can effectively kill those bacteria. The unpleasant stink that comes from shoes is because of existing shoe fungus and moisture. Some of these disinfectants often work as a deodorizer by reducing foot perspiration.
Spray your shoes with vinegar or baking soda
Vinegar, which is high in acidic contents, is an excellent material for eliminating shoe fungus. You can also use baking soda in place of vinegar, since it is good for eliminating shoe odor. The use of vinegar is natural and easy way of killing shoe fungus.
Sanitize your shoes with shoe sanitizers
Sanitizers work like magic in killing fungi as they will all be dead in less than twenty-five minutes. The UV Total Recovery shoe sanitizer is one product that kills fungi, dead. Most anti-fungal sprays work perfectly in keeping these fungi at bay.
Here are some of the shoe sanitizers available in the market today:
Where to Buy
This shoe deodorizer uses the power of UV light to clean the surface areas inside your shoes, without using chemicals or other biological agents. The power of UV light, along with a short period of time, is all that is needed to clean the inside of your shoes.
2. PEET Dryer
This dryer is a clever device which is designed to effectively remove wet, sweat and odor from footwear and gear, without deteriorating the materials and without using an excessive amount of energy.
This set contains a pair of ultraviolet shoe sanitizers and 1 charger. Just put the sanitizers into shoes for 15-60 minutes, it will kill 99.9 percentile within the shoes cause our foot fungus.
This reduces odors and harmful bacteria left behind by your sweat in your everyday shoes, heels, athletic shoes, flats, and even boots with ease. This product is fully angle adjustable to fit most any shoe.
This UVC can effectively kill a variety of common pathogenic microorganisms such as bacteria, viruses, fungi. It can specially kill the foot bacteria which are difficult to be killed with conventional methods.
The idea of drying your shoes out in the sun doesn’t sound like much but it helps to dismantle already existing spores of the fungus, since sunlight prevents fungus from spreading. This method is 100% effective if you use an additional treating option like spraying your shoes with antifungal powder before putting them out to dry.
Use of the Disinfectant Foot Powder
Foot powder weakens the cell membranes of the fungi. As the powder decreases the fungi, it will find it difficult to reproduce or multiply and will end up fading steadily and continuously. It will do good to sprinkle some of this foot powder in your shoes often after you take them off every day.
Here are some disinfectant foot powder products available in the market today:
Where to Buy
This powder helps keeping the feet dry by absorbing sweat. The high quality ingredients like tapioca starch, micronized zinc oxide and Bisabolol prevents foot odors and sweaty feet, provide a smooth pleasant skin sensation and has antiseptic properties.
This foot odor treatment kills odor-causing bacteria and eliminates foot and shoe odor for up to 6 months at a time. Just apply this daily for several days to allow the odor-killing ingredients activate.
This shoe powder is an all-natural shoe and foot powder which prevents moisture, and prevents odor causing bacteria from forming. It uses a mixture of natural powders and clays that not only prevent shoe odor, but are also great for your skin.
Get rid of shoe and foot odor by using this Gran’s Remedy: Foot Care for Smelly Feet and Footwear
This non-greasy, natural foot cream is made with only the finest ingredients, like raw manuka honey, organic aloe vera, cehami, coconut oil, shea butter, MSM, blue-green algae and more. This is specifically formulated to deliver every nutrient the skin needs for rapid healing.
If you have toenail fungus, here are some products that could help you treat it.
This product is considered as the best toenail fungus treatment. It is made up of blend potent active ingredients, essential oils and plant extracts. Some of the ingredients involved in this powerful treatment include Tea Tree Oil, Sunflower Seed Oils and Undecylenic which is recognized by the FDA as an effective treatment for fungal infections of the nails.
This also comes with a built-in applicator brush. It is applied with the brush twice daily to the affected nails and surrounding cuticles. You get an amazing 60-day money back guarantee, no questions asked, with this tropical treatment.
- Great choice if you are looking for a natural way to get rid of your fungus infection
- Has been formulated in an FDA registered lab
- 60-day money back guarantee
- Saves you time and money from purchasing useless products
- May not be as popular as other products on the market
- Not an overnight cure
This is the most affordable toenail fungus treatment and is one of the best-selling toenail fungus treatment on the market today. It comes with an easy to use applicator brush, and you can apply it twice daily, once before you put your sock and shoes on in the morning and once before you go to bed at night as well.
All the ingredients listed in this treatment are FDA approved and are very effective in treating toenail fungus. It also has an affordable price and a 90-day money back guarantee if you aren’t completely satisfied.
- Has a high success rate compared to other product
- Ingredients are very effective against toenail fungus
- Comes with a 90-day money back guarantee
- Each bottle comes with a topical brush
- Not available in local stores
- May take 3-6 months of treatment to completely destroy nail fungus
This product is the most popular toenail fungus treatment and is clinically proven to treat 99.9% of nail fungus infections with its incredible natural ingredients. The ingredients of this product include Carvacrol, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Essential Tea Tree Oil, Almond Oil and Oregano Oil is extremely effective in fighting against different types of fungal infection including jock itch and athlete’s foot.
- Low price compared to other treatment option
- Effective against 99.9% nail fungal infection
- 100% natural ingredients
- Treatment is very easy to apply
- May take up 4 weeks before you see any improvement
- You may need multiple bottles if your nail infection is severe
Most of the measures used to kill these shoe fungi can also be seen as preventive measures. If you have not been a victim of this fungus yet, these measures are sure to keep them away. How long the fungus live in shoes depends on how long will you wait before you kill it.