If your shoes are too big or your boots are a little too loose, they might feel uncomfortable, especially when you wear them the whole day. This is why other people find it helpful to add a pair of insoles, whether in their favorite pair of heels or a new pair of loafers, as it can quickly put a spring back in your step. Today, you can easily buy a pair of insoles in shoe stores and even online. But when looking for one, it is important to find good quality oneswhich are suitable for both men and women, whether for casual shoes or sports shoes.
If you are interested to learn more about insoles, you’re in the right place. Today, we are going to talk about what insoles are and how they can help.
What are Insoles?
Insoles are pieces of material that are placed inside shoes or boots for extra comfort.Most people also use them for warmth during the cold seasons, and as well as for a better fit. They are also sometimes called footbeds or inner soles. Their primary purpose is to make shoes more comfortable to wear.
Shoe insoles cannot make a shoe smaller, but they can fill out the empty space between your feet inside of the shoe. Aside from that, they can also be used to keep your shoes fresh, because you can take them out and clean them. You can also use insoles together with toe inserts if your shoes are too big to provide additional support.
What Materials are Insoles Made From?
Insoles are made using various materials. These materials have their own pros and cons. Here are some of them:
- Foam: Foam insoles are the most common, most affordable, and easiest to find. It is naturally shock-absorbing, rigid, and dependable. However, insoles that are made from foam can wear down quickly.
- Memory Foam: Insoles that are made from memory foam are perfectly molded to the shape of the foot. This makes them very comfortable to wear. Compared to regular foam, memory foam insoles are longer lasting.
- Gel: Gel insoles are perfect if your heels are too big. They can help increase grip, relieve pain, and stop slipping. These are very comfortable, especially in the balls of the feet.
- Air Cushioned Insoles: Insoles that are air-cushioned can provide maximum comfort and cushion to the feet. They contain pressurized air bubbles inside a supportive foam sole, which can also help prolong the life of your shoes.
- Leather: There are also leather insoles available. Most of the time, they are made of cowhide leather, which is tough, durable, and can provide strong arch support.
How Can Insoles Help?
The most common reason people use insoles is to make their shoes feel slightly smaller and fit better. But aside from those, here are other ways on how insoles can help:
- Insoles can provide a better fit.
Your standard shoe size can fit differently per shoe brand, and it is sometimes challenging to find a half size. Therefore, most people opt to buy a shoe that is slightly bigger and then use an insole to fill up a little more of the shoe to make the fit tighter. This is the most common use of insoles.
- Insoles can add warmth to the feet.
Aside from making your shoes fit better and more comfortable, it can also help your feet feel warmer. It can add an extra layer to your shoes to insulate your feet, especially during the winter season.
- Insoles can help prevent blisters.
Insoles can also be used to prevent blisters. It’s because when a shoe is tight-fitting, it will not rub as much and cause irritation and discomfort.
- Insoles can help improve posture.
Insoles are also used to correct issues with posture. These are specialized types of insoles, which are called orthotics or orthotic insoles. They are custom-made to give appropriate treatment for specific problems that affect walking, running, and standing. They can provide arch support where it is needed.
How to Pick the Right Insole
If you are searching for the best insole, it depends on the specific fit problems that you have with your shoes and what’s comfortable for you. Here are some examples:
- If the heels of your shoes are rubbing or if your heel is slipping, a simple gel heel grip might work for you. If it’s not enough, you can use a half insole. These are used to support the heel but not the front of the foot.
- If your shoes are loose, you can try a full insole for maximum comfort and support. You just need to find an insole that corresponds with your shoe size.
- If the balls of your feet are aching or burning, you can use a ball foot cushion to feel more comfortable and reduce the pressure. These can fit into slimmer heels and tight-fitting shoes.
- If your heels are too big, you can use toe inserts, as these can give support at the front of the shoe.
It’s amazing to know that aside from making your shoes fit better, insoles can also help in overcoming a number of issues related to comfort and posture. Therefore, if your shoes feel uncomfortable to wear, maybe it’s best for you to use some high-quality insoles to make them comfortable and to save your feet from aching.
We hope the information we shared here helped you in learning more about what insoles are and how they can help.